“To go wrong in one’s own way is better than to go right in someone else’s.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
I recently stumbled upon one of John Green’s (one of my favourite people) videos in which he shared an open end of the year/new year letter to his future self.
You know where this is going, right?
John’s letter about leaving somethings in 2017 and taking others to 2018, inspired me to write a letter of my own.
Now, I don’t usually make resolutions, bully myself when I don’t follow them, and then ultimately end up feeling worse. What I usually do is make lists (surprise, surprise, I like lists), lists of things that I’d like to do/accomplish. The reason is that I often forget the things that I wanted to do. Maybe I won’t check everything off the list, or change my mind. But that’s okay, I am an ever-changing organism in a world of ever-changing circumstances.
Dear future me,
What a year! It went by so fast, let’s look back at what happened:
- You finished graduate school (FINALLY)
- Despite being unemployed for six months, you survived somehow
- Volunteered for the UN
- Moved to a big scary city and got your first apartment
- Got a “grown-up” job
- Didn’t cancel your gym membership
- Saw Metallica live
- Read about 8 books
- Started painting again
- Started a blog! (FINALLY)
So, in the new year:
You didn’t go to your graduation ceremony! How about you leave all the self-destructive habits in 2017 and start celebrating accomplishments.
- Started learning a few things but didn’t follow through, so leave the tardiness in 2017 and pick up French and playing guitar where you left off.
- Ran on and off during the summer, almost reaching 5K, let’s make it to that big five in 2018.
- There were times that your OCD has stifled you, take measures to be a better you, it’s okay to get help.
- Take the books with you to 2018, read more, there’s so much yet to be learned.
- Don’t let the post-traumatic feeling get the best of you, learn self-defence and leave getting mugged behind.
- Take your dancing from 2015 to 2018, be happy.
- Take writing and blogging into 2018, more dedicated than ever, don’t give up on me!
- You did it, you went to the gym every day for 6 months, take this to the new year, changes in your body will follow.
- Go on on outdoor adventures, hike, kayak, watch surfers on the beach while terrified of diving into the water yourself ( I am afraid of water, ocean, sea, you name it. And I don’t know why!).
- And finally, travel as much as you can afford. This is your main purpose in life; to travel and learn more. Don’t forget it.
There it is! I might have forgotten some things, but that is all my brain can produce today! What are your extravagant goals for the new year?